Sunday 10 June 2018

Double Trouble 3



So, it's been awhile but back to random hobby articles it is!

I've just got back from Alex Brown's (of fromthefang.blogspot.co.uk) Double Trouble 3 Tournament, held at Element Games in Stockport, and what a day it has been!

The tournament is a doubles tournament with a twist, 875pts per player with different players in each game. So, not only do you have a different partner in every game, you are facing completely different opponents every game too!

Every board was set up with 6 objectives evenly spaced in each game with different deployments each time.

Secondary objectives were not in play, and Victory Points (VP) would be scored at the end of your turn if you claimed the objective (following the rules for objective secured). A variant of kill points was also in use, called Blood Points (BP) which would award the points value of a destroyed unit, or half rounding up for any units below half strength, or multi wound models being below half wounds.

31 players from not only the UK but also from the continent attended, with Alex taking part to ensure everyone got all their games on and there were no "bys" given.
I took a patrol detachment of Death Guard (list at the end of the article) which did surprisingly well.

Game 1
Ally: Luke Capper (Khorne Daemons)
Opponents: Alex Brown (Hive Fleet Behemoth, Dark Eldar [forget which kabal it was])

So, I had the tournament organiser in the first game, and it was great. This would also be my first time playing against Alex as well, and he definitely played to his strengths. I have give props to Alex for running two cobbled together armies, with various rules to great effect. The Nids had two trygons, a flyrant, ripper swarms and many many genestealers. The Dark Eldar, consisted of 3 venoms with kabalite warriors, a large unit of reavers, led by an archon. 

Luke brought the angriest bad-ass in the immaterium to the fight, Skarbrand, Bloodcrushers, Karanak, Flesh hounds and harpys (kitbashed from bloodletters and Dark Eldar Scourge bat wings).

If I had spent more time gathering notes and pictures for all my games I could enlighten you more with how things progressed, but alas I forgot to keep on top of this by mid point of this game over the rest of the tournament. I've put what images I have at the end of the article. 

DG, Khorne Daemons: 10VP, 623BP
Tyr, DE: 10VP 1268BP

Game 2:
Ally: David Irving Adeptus Mechanicus (Mars)
Opponents: Lucas Rooney (Imperial Knights [index])
Owen Brignall Adeptus Custodes

My word, this game was brutal. 

Unfortunately for Lucas, the IK codex didn't release in time for the cut off date for Double Trouble 3, limiting him to higher costing units, no new stratagems, warlord traits or relics. Lucas' Army consisted of one Knight Crusader, with Thunderfist, reaper chainsword, stub Cannon and carapace launcher, and two Armigers.

Owen brought one shield captain on foot, one shield captain on jetbike, and 3 custodes troops units. This was my first game against Adeptus Custodes, and my word they Just. Would. Not. Die... Lol

I suppose I shouldn't complain as the Imperial Knights fell pretty quickly to some unlucky rolls for saves on overeat chips and during assault, but the combination of IKs and Adeptus Custodes, is a strong one. Get a shield captain on Jetbike, he's awesome, and was more durable than the Death Guard, which made me laugh.

DG, Admech: 22VP 1480BP
IK, Ad Cus: 11VP 1084BP

Game 3:
Ally: Luke Doak (T'au [Borkan Sept])
Opponents: Mark Cromblehome (World Eaters [CSM])
Hendrik Mรผller-Joswig: Blood Angels

I was originally meant to be playing with Henni in this game, but he and Mark are old friends, so after a wee chat with Alex we were happy to switch partners. After all, but for the luck of the draw they could have been partners, so it wasn't an issue at a casual tournament such as this one.

Everyone at the table was looking for a daft, crazy, murderfest for a game, and that is definitely what we had! Khorne Berserkers were blenderising cultists left right and centre as the Bloat Drones weathered the assault of Kharn only to take him down in response with a healthy dose of whatever foul fluids the drones covered him in. I think the highlight of the game was Lukes' Y'varna assaulting Lemartes and finishing off his final wound as the final play of the game, which none of us thought would happen.

Henni and Mark took more VPs but myself and Luke took more BP so in the end I think we can call it a draw.

DG, T'au: 13VP 1510BP
KB, BA: 18VP 1207BP
Conclusions
I had an great day, all my opponents and partners made every game tense and exciting. I made a good show of my performance overall, and hopefully if Alex puts up standings for the day I can see how I did overall (and update it on here).
I wish I had remembered to take down the results my opponents, but live and learn I suppose!

I definitely feel tired, broken and very much in a good mood after the event. But alas, it is also potentially bittersweet, as Alex may only be running one more event to dedicate more time to being a responsible adult and father, as opposed to glorified nanny for all us nerds who attended.

It would be a massive shame if the niche Alex has filled, isn't taken up by another budding Tournament organiser, as I definitely believe there is the room and the scope for many more casual and fun tournaments, which are nothing more than spending time with friends, playing a game we all enjoy together.

I'm sure you will find plenty of other images and updates from across the tournament over on fromthefang.blogspot.co.uk soon, so I urge you to swing by! 

Jonathan 

Edited: for player names (spelling), opponents points, BP in Game 3.







++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [53 PL, 875pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gifts of Decay (1 Relic)

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle [8 PL, 175pts]: 3. Tainted Regeneration, 5. Putrescent Vitality, Hellforged sword, Plague Spewer, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [12 PL, 141pts]
. 31x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Plague Marines [13 PL, 178pts]
. Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plague knife, Power fist
. 7x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Noxious Blightbringer [4 PL, 65pts]: Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

++ Total: [53 PL, 875pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

7 comments:

  1. Hey man, nice write up. Glad you enjoyed our final game, boy was it a bloodbath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, would be great to play against each other some time ๐Ÿ˜ it was a great day; one of the best tournament days I have ever attended and TBH I really would struggle to pick a favourite game of other day as well, it really speaks to how great everyone is that attended and how well it was run

      Delete
  2. It really means a lot for people to say things like this is their best tournament experience.

    Rest assured I took plenty of pictures of our first game so I'll write up some reports when I get chance. Hope to be able to get the results up tonight or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed our game. Nice for the HT to get stuck in straight from the production line

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to see how your images turned out, I did say they wouldn't be great at the table ๐Ÿ˜‚ it'll be good to see how your other games went as well ๐Ÿ‘ The hive Tyrant was a beast cultists did an alright job feeding him ๐Ÿคฃ

      Delete
    3. Edit: I mean my images wouldn't be great lol

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a blast and some great games! Annoyed I missed this one, hopefully I'll make the next one.

    ReplyDelete